“We Are Simply Christians”
The Bible tells us about people who are added to the church. They are:
1. Disciples – “…the number of disciples was multiplying…”(Acts 6:1)
2. Believers – “…but be an example to the believers…” (1 Timothy 4:12)
3. Christians – “…And the disciples were first called Christians…” (Acts 11:26)
The members of the Lord’s church are all three: disciples, believers, and Christians…not members of any man-made denomination. Their labor is for the Lord – instead of for the glory of some human organization. Christians are “of Christ” and they closely follow the principles Jesus and His apostles taught. This includes:
1. The way they live – what they say, do and think.
2. The way they worship God, both in public and in private.
3. The way they respect God’s word – and His silence – as shown in the Bible.
The New Testament does not reveal any denominational organization. As the gospel spread, Christians formed congregations in various localities. Congregations did not join together with other congregations to form some new organization. Each congregation was under its own elders and no one else on earth. (Acts 14:23).
Every scripturally organized group of the Lord’s church has:
1. Overseers (elders) of the congregation, appointed as a result of meeting God’s qualifications (1 Timothy 3:1-6)
2. Deacons who are qualified and carry out necessary work (1 Timothy 3:8-13)
3. Evangelists who teach and preach in public and conduct home Bible studies (2 Timothy 4:5)
The Casey Westside church follows this pattern of simple Christianity. We are simply Christians. We do not report to any headquarters; we appoint our own elders and deacons, based on God’s qualifications…and we work independently of other groups of Christians.